Thursday, August 25, 2011

Rising to Greatness

The state of Iowa has taught me since age five. My first kindergarten teacher named Mrs. Dorm welcomed me into the world of education. She was energetic and wore a large red bow to class everyday. You could tell kids were her passion, and teaching came so natural to her. Then suddenly Mrs. Dorm moved, and had to leave her spot as my kindergarten teacher. Then came along a replacement, I can't even remember her name. I only remember the lack of teaching she did and the famous "glare" she gave to naughty students. While reading the article "Rising to Greatness" all I could reflect back on were my past teachers, all apart of Iowa's School district. I thought to myself, how many outstanding teachers did I have? I could only think of three. The article discusses very valid points on how Iowa needs to step up it's game and rise back to the top. Like the article said, every state is also dealing with diversity and economic hardship, so it is our school system that needs to drastically improve in every way. At one point of the article it stated Iowa needs "highly effective educators". Half of my teachers growing up were not effective; they were lazy and despised coming to work each day. Teachers must have an impact on their students, and reading this article proved it. Reading this article also encouraged myself to work even harder to become an outstanding teacher someday. I believe Iowa can rise to greatness and I hope in the next few years to come, I can help Iowa achieve this!

No comments:

Post a Comment